Sunday 2 June 2013

Spotlight on.........Jessica Hawkins

Jessica Hawkins

I am so excited to welcome Jessica Hawkins to the blog today. She is now firmly entrenched on my favourite author TBR list after reading the first two books in her fantastic The Cityscape Series. The first book being Come Undone (released 1st Jan 2013) and the newly released second book Come Alive (30th May 2013)
This series is so addictive and original, a brilliant page turner even though it does cover that highly emotive subject of infidelity. 

FBR: Welcome Jessica, thanks for stopping by today and agreeing to the Q & A session. 

JH: My pleasure, thank you for the great questions.

FBR Can you give a little background about your writing and how you came to be a writer?

JHI always knew I wanted to write a book, particularly a love story. Since college, I’ve traveled and moved around, tried different jobs, but I was always left unsatisfied. I needed a creative release. One day I just started writing, and this story – The Cityscape Series as a whole – was seriously in my head. I had to get it out. Now, a year later, the second book is out (was released on the 30th May) and the third is in the works.

FBR:  What is it about the contemporary romance genre that keeps you writing about it?

JHPeople really interest me; I've always been an observer. And I think at the root of most things – money, power, good, evil – is the desire to love and be loved. That would make love and, of course sex, two of the most powerful things in the world. I wanted to explore that concept by delving into the meat of it. What would people do, what would they give up for love?

FBR: OK, let's talk about book covers - money is no object - who/what would be the ultimate cover for you?

JH: I actually really love my covers as they are. I wanted them to be sensual and attractive, but most of all, I wanted them to leave a lot to the reader’s imagination. I intentionally left off faces (for the most part), and a male presence. Reading allows people to create their own landscape. With a little help from me, I wanted the reader to see his or her own version of the characters. I didn't want to spoil anything by putting David Dylan on the cover, even though I have a clear picture of him in my head (and he is HOT).

FBR: Yes David is absolutely HOT! Just give me a minute to re-gather my thoughts after that swoonfest!

FBR: OK I've calmed down heehee - so where do you get your inspiration from for your storylines?

JH: I get inspiration from everywhere. I'll be eating dinner and have to run to my computer to make a note about something. But mostly music. Music fuels my imagination; it makes me feel, and it drives me to put those feelings into words.

FBR: Which authors do you read? Who are your favourites?

JH: I like authors who take risks, push boundaries. And who show beauty through words; I love to be awed by an author’s sentence structure, vocabulary or description. I'm more connected to certain books than authors, like Gone with the Wind, Anna Karenina or Lolita. 

FBR: I can totally relate to that Jessica and the classics are always a winner aren't they? Thank you so much for sharing today, it was great to catch up with you. I can't wait for the next book in the series (due later in 2013) but I will definitely be doing a re-read of the first two books just before the third is released.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Giveaway!

Head over to Jessica's Giveaways page here to enter for a signed copy of Come Alive her latest release in The Cityscape Series


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My review for Come Undone can be found here
and
My review for Come Alive can be found here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jessica Hawkins contact details

 

*********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment